Saturday, November 17, 2012

Social Experiment?

"If looks could really kill, my profession would be staring."

People watching. It's one of my hobbies. I love looking at people on campus. What they wear, how they talk, how they walk, how they react with others. I like observing people in class. How they take notes, if they drink coffee in the morning, if they play with their hair, how they sneak their phone. Just little things. I can't explain it really. I like seeing how people actions and reactions cause other actions and reactions. I think this is why I'm so observant to people. I can instantly tell when one of my friends are upset, sad, lying, uncomfortable, in love. I know that if one of my friends is lying, I won't call them out, but see where they take the lie. It can get pretty interesting. I'm the type of person who likes to sit back, watch everyone and understand everything, but not say a word. Why ruin what a perfect system I have? 

That being said, I want to try a social experiment. I've thought about it for the past four days, instead of my research paper. But, I can bull shit those quite easily, so it's no big deal. My thoughts were inspired when I found out that Cole Sprouse, yes, that twin from the Suite Life, had conducted a sociology experiment, for class, or for himself, I don't know. He made a Tumblr account (coletureconcept), posted regular college anthropologist things, but with crazy amount of notes, comments, reblogs, etc. He posted photos of himself, which went all over the site, and he gained a tremendous amount of followers. Recently, he deleted his account, and revealed the truth. People on the site are furious, and felt betrayed. But really, his idea was so brilliant, I wish I was on a Disney show back in the day, just so I could do this experiment. He posted regular photos, and long text philosophical posts. Thousands of notes by people who don't understand what he was trying to say, but only because they had some sort of connection to a child actor who was wildly popular in the 90s-00s. Cole had removed himself from the public eye to live a normal life, going to college, etc. He knew that people would only follow his blog because he was merely a celebrity. He then just sat back and observed everyone. How crazy they were, how upset they were, and how naive they were. So brilliant. 

Anyways, I want to do something. I haven't decided yet. I want to do it on a social media site, since I am forever fascinated by the media, and how it is so persuasive, how it can negatively portray people, positively portray people, how it can even cause disorders, and how easily people can be persuaded by a person with a microphone in front of their face. All I know, is that I won't tell anyone about this project, and when I complete it, I will make a post about it, and expose the fools for what they are. Muahaha. So evil, I know. But, I think people need a dose of reality from time to time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment