Monday, January 28, 2013

cereal killahs

No matter how many books I read, no matter how much I say I love them, books about serial killers will forever always be my favorite. It makes me realize that I am truly in the right major, since I love it so much.

My favorite book is In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote. It is one of my favorites, because it is based on very true events, and that the perspectives change from the victim to the killers. This may seem like nothing special, but think about it. How could Capote portray the feelings, the emotions of the event, especially from the victim's point of view? They are dead, and he wrote this after the case, obviously. Same with the killers. He wasn't in the van with them, or in the house when they had the dialogues. and once they were dead, he couldn't really talk to them either. However, he seemed to have done his research and truly encompass the story. For that, it is my favorite.

My favorite case is the case of JonBenet Ramsey. I remember this case when I was a child. A girl, who was really pretty, a little older than me, in makeup? That blew my mind. My mom would always watch the news and talk about how this really pretty little girl, who was famous for some reason died. Later, I would do my own research to find out it was a vintage case of Toddlers and Tiaras gone wrong. No, she didn't get her own TV show with a redneck family, who happens to be strangely sweet, caring, and funny. She ended up dead in her basement, and the case is unsolved today. It could be the parents, it could be an intruder, blah blah blah. To this day, it is still unsolved. There isn't sufficient proof to convict anyone, but to me, the signs, and evidence point to the parents. The letter, the change of handwriting, the insurance money, the fact that the parents acted so strangely when she was "missing". I will forever think that to be my favorite unsolved case that I have learned about so far. Even though it is really sad.

I am currently reading Helter Skelter, a book about Charles Manson, one of the most famous killers on earth. I must have a pretty fucked up mind if I think that reading about how blood on the walls is more interesting than some love story. ( I tried reading Safe Haven, and couldn't. I have to be in a mushy mood. It was just too much for me.)

1 comment:

  1. They just had an article on Yahoo about her (JonBenet) and said they had enough evidence to indict the parents. There were some things that pointed to child abuse apparently.

    ReplyDelete